About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Snow Globe Creative Writing

We have learned all the six traits of writing.  Now, we are to the point where we need to apply it to our writing.  This is the tricky part!  We made a class rubric for each trait.  The kids follow the rubrics, and we have them posted on our Voices Wall.  

When we learned each trait, the students then helped make a rubric for everyone to follow.  I love doing this because it always tells me whether they understood the trait or not.  

It has been very snowy in Chicago, so I had my students write about being stuck in a snow globe.  I love this writing prompt, and I loved seeing everything they came up with!  This is also a great prompt for students to practice using voice. 


To help them get in the mindset of writing about being stuck in a snow globe.  I took pictures of them as if they were in one.  Then, I had students draw a scene behind their pictures of what it looked like in a snow globe.  They loved this!! My students actually thanked me for letting them write about this. :) 




Once they finished their snow globe crafts, they began their writing piece.  They first planned their writing using one of the many planning pages I introduced. Then, they started their writing piece. Due to time, I was not able to let them write a rough draft first.  Check out some of the pieces below.  I enjoyed reading them, and I thought they did a great job for not having a lot of time to work on them! 






What are some writing prompts in your room?  I would love to hear about them! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment