About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Dr. Seuss Plans!

Monday is Dr. Seuss' birthday!  I put together some plans to celebrate ALL day with my kiddos.  Do you do anything exciting for Dr. Seuss?  At my prior school we would celebrate him for a week!  I am just planning on having a day celebration on Monday.

Here is what I have planned.  

When my kids arrive in the morning, they are going to make a fun Dr. Seuss hat and place it on a sentence strip.  I also have them write the top five reasons they love to read.  Since Dr. Seuss is also known as Read Across America day, I thought it would be neat to see how kids felt about reading.  You can snag a copy below!


      

After my kids arrive and make their fun hat for the day, they will complete some fun math activities!  I thought I would read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.  Then, they would practice fractions using goldfish crackers.  Students will use the goldfish crackers in the fish bowl to represent a whole. Then, they will determine different fractions of the crackers by dividing them into equal groups.  You can use this worksheet below that I plan to use with my kiddos while they work on fractions.





I will have another math group working on measurement.  I will read The Foot Book and then have students practice finding objects in the classroom and measure them using inches and centimeters.  You can download the recording sheet below.





After math, we will do some reading activities.  I decided to have my kids read and perform a Reader's Theater of Dr. Seuss stories.

      
After practicing our fluency with Reader's Theater, we will listen toThe Lorax and write about how we can help save the world.  My kids have been learning about the water cycle and the importance of preserving water during science, so this will be perfect for them!  Then, of course I will take a picture of my kids with the fun Lorax mustache! 



I also plan to make green eggs and ham with my kids.  Then, they are going to describe the green eggs and ham.  My kids have been struggling with writing detailed descriptions, so I thought this would be fun practice!





To end the day, my kids will research Dr. Seuss and learn a little more about him!  You can grab the question sheet below.  



I hope you have an awesome Dr. Seuss celebration!  Please share below how you celebrate Dr. Seuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment