About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Monday, October 10, 2016

Math Toolkits



I created these math toolkits to help make my lessons easier when passing out materials and to make preparation for the lessons faster!

They have coins (5 pennies, 2 nickels, 2 dimes, and 1 quarter), 2 die, a bracelet with 20 beads for counting/+/-, pattern blocks (one of each), number cards 0-25,  +/- stick, a piece of a square felt, and 10 counters. 
I bought these small pencil boxes at Wal*Mart for 15 cents a piece about 5 years ago.  They have lasted me a long time!  They are the perfect size for my math toolkits.  I keep all 25 of mine in a green tote.  They are nice and small so they don't take up a lot of space in the classroom.  If your students have desks you could have them keep it in their desk. I also write a number on the outside of each box.  This way students can take the box with their classroom number.  It helps me keep tabs on the students that can keep all of their materials in their box. 


When I introduce the math toolkits I give a lot of modeling and explaining.  I emphasize to students how to keep their toolkits organized and how to not lose any of the items.  This always helps because students tend to smash all the items in the box or misplace their pieces.  It helps keep things more orderly. 


Here are some ways I use the toolkits.  When we have calendar time, I may have students show me various coins or shapes that are in the toolkits.  When we are practicing addition/subtraction, I have students use the felt to place their counters on and the +/- stick.  Then, we practice adding and subtracting using the counters and the stick.

We may also use the bead bracelet to practice adding and subtracting.  We can do that with numbers all the way to 20!
The dice are often used for math games, and the number cards are great for number recognition practice or number writing. 

As you can see, the math toolkit can be used for many things.  It definitely helps save time in the classroom, and keeps our math materials organized. 


No comments:

Post a Comment