About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Thursday, October 6, 2016

How to Writing with Applesauce

When we learn about apples, I have to squeeze in making applesauce!  It is one of my favorite things to do.  The kids also love eating it. :] 
 

First, I gather all of the materials.  I use a crockpot, about 8 apples, 1/4 cup of water, and some cinnamon.  I cut the apples up and place them in the crockpot.  I let my kids pour in the water and sprinkle the cinnamon on top.  This is a great way to introduce measuring cups and what they mean. 
The kids LOVE pouring in the ingredients.  I was also smart this year because I used a crockpot liner so when we were done I just had to throw the bag away. It made clean up SO much easier. :] 

Once we finish, I use this opportunity to do a how to writing activity.  My kids write how to make applesauce in their little booklet.  


Since this was our first time writing like this, I made the steps very simple and easy to follow.  I didn't want to overwhelm them with a lot of writing. 


You can see how they wrote and matched the words to the pictures. 


One of my kiddos messed up the order of his booklet, so we did a little problem solving by crossing out the numbers and rearranging the pages. :] No need for stress and tears! 

When we were all done - it took the applesauce about 4 hours on high to cook - we enjoyed our treat! When I poured them into the bowls, I let them sit for a little bit so my kiddos didn't burn their tongues. :] 

If you want to grab this booklet we used - you can click on the image below.  It is FREE. :]


No comments:

Post a Comment