About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back to School Apple Fun!

August is a busy month for teachers!  We are getting back to school and looking for anything that might make our lives easier.  Well...check out this fun place value game I created just for YOU!  It is free the month of August to help you get back into the swing of things.  

This is a great way to review place value with your students or introduce a new concept in a fun and exciting way!  There are 3 games included in this pack to provide you with different activities while teaching this concept.  Place value can be tricky for our kiddos!

Click on the image below to download your free pack today!

Another fun idea for the start of school is to practice place value using real apples.  Yes, I said real apples!  I don't know about you, but I love teaching when it involves food.  I cannot make it through the school day without a small snack, and apples are the most fun because they are healthy too!

1.  Buy some apples from the store.  I would buy 3 apples per small group.  This way, you would have one apple for the hundreds place, one for the tens, and one for the ones. 
2.  Take an the apple and cut it into 10 strips. (the tens place)
3.  Cut another apple into small cubes. (the ones place)
4.  Then, place one apple (uncut), 10 strips, and small cubes with a group.
5.  Students can then practice making certain numbers using the apple pieces.
6.  I would have the students work together and write a number on the board.  Then, they would have to use the apples to make that number.
7.  Since they've touched the 10 strips and the small cubes, I would have them throw it away when they are done, but I would rinse off the whole apples and cut those up for a small snack!

This might be a sticky way to learn place value, but it would be fun and different! Honestly, who doesn't mind getting a little messy sometimes?

I hope you enjoy this fun packet!  Please leave a comment below on how you use apples in your classroom at the beginning of the year!  :]

No comments:

Post a Comment