About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Reading Workshop Routines

 
Reading Workshop can be one of those tricky curriculums to use in your classroom.  When I first started workshop, I wasn't a fan.  However, with time I have really grown to love it!

I start by introducing what the students should do vs. what the teacher should do during reading.  We make this chart together and discuss our roles.  I think it is a great way for them to also see that I'm not just walking around - I am busy too!

Then, we discuss the routine to workshop.  We start by singing a little song and gathering on the rug in our reading spots.  Then, I teach the lesson, we do a part together, and then the students go off to independently read and practice the skill on their own.  Once they have built their reading stamina, they read independently for at least 20 minutes.  When the time is up, they go to their partner, talk about the skill they practiced, and then we clean up and meet back on the rug for share time. 

Here you can see one of my students reading and marking WOW pages with his post-it notes. Each student picks a reading spot in the room (anywhere they want) and they go there each day. 

She is looking at her books, reading, and thinking.  Each student is also given an exit slip where they record something to go with the lesson.  This helps me see whether the students understood what was taught.  It it difficult for me to get around to each student, so I use their exit slips to check for student understanding.
I mark whether they understood on my checklist and then the students put their paper in their mailbox. They bring their paper to me after the clean up from working with their partner and before they go back to the rug for share time.
During independent reading time, I typically pull small groups and read with those students.  I pull students that are the same ability level. 

Each student has their own book bin.  You can see what is placed inside below!

Each bin has a poetry folder.  We learn a new poem each week during morning meeting, and students put their poem in their folder.  This is something they know how to read and can read it during independent reading time. 

Each bin also has a reading folder.  This is where we store resource pages or activities.  Sometimes they are working on something that takes a few days to complete, so they place the papers in this folder. 

Each bin has a small bag filled with some materials.  Each student gets a yellow and black marker (use it to mark certain things when writing on our exit slips or writing on post-it notes), post-it notes, pencil, eraser, and a craft stick to use for pointing to each word.  They also get a clipboard to write on because students can sit anywhere in the room when they read.  

I hope this gives you a better idea of what workshop is like in Kindergarten.  Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment