About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Behavior, Behavior, Behavior

Behavior, behavior, behavior...ugh do you ever get tired of finding the "perfect" behavior management tool?  It is always something that I am trying to perfect.  I LOVE class dojo, but I was not allowed to use it this year in my classroom - so I used a clip chart instead.

Since the school I am at has always had blue as the highest option, I kept blue at the top (which drives me crazy because I wish it was in rainbow order).  I have it posted at the front of my room so that we can see it all the time. 


Each child has their name on a clothespin and the pin can move up or down throughout the day.  They get the opportunity to clip up after they have made a mistake.  Everyone starts on green.  If they clip up it is because they have been exceptionally well-behaved. If they go below green, then they need to work on making smarter choices. As I said, if a child clips down, he/she can still clip up if he/she starts to turn their behavior around. 


Blue is the highest - they get a certificate telling their parents that they have earned a "blue day" and a prize from the treasure box!

Pink is the second highest.  When a child is on pink they get to visit the principal to tell her how good they were that day.  My kids love telling her the good things they do!

Purple is right above the starting color.  If the students are on purple they get a sticker at the end of the day.  It seems small, but they love stickers! 

Green is the color everyone starts on each day.  This is the color that shows that they are behaving that day. 

Yellow is a warning.  This tells the child that he/she needs to start making better choices. A student is typically given 1-2 warnings before he/she is moved to yellow.  

Orange means their behavior has continued to not improve.  Then, he/she has to walk laps during recess.  

Red is at the very bottom and means that there needs to be parent contact for the child's behavior.  Depending on the severity of the behavior, I either email or call the parents.  Occasionally we have a meeting to discuss the child's behavior.  

At the end of each day, whatever color the child is on that is the color I place in his/her folder.  This way parents see their child's behavior each day.  I also keep the calendars at the end of each month to keep track of each child's behavior throughout the school year.  

How do you manage behavior in your classroom?  I would love to hear what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment