About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

NO David!!


No David is one of my favorite books to read to my class, especially at the beginning of the year. It is a great book to teach voice and classroom procedures.  I read this book over and over to help my kids also learn the story so that it can become one of our emergent storybooks at the beginning of the year.


If you are wondering what makes an emergent storybook?  Well, it is a book that you read over and over again to allow students to remember the story.  Then, students take the books and read them on their own using their own words, but making it as close to the story as possible.  It is a great way for students to begin to know the process of reading a story, they practice comprehension skills, and practice fluency/voice while reading.  

After we read the story, we make our very own David.  Students love being able to cut and glue.  The best part is that we make a huge mess and clean it up when we're all done.  This way we're not worried about throwing trash on the ground and can focus on making our David.

I always take the paper and cut it into the size that they will need, and then the student make it into the correct shape.  Giving them a large sheet of paper is too difficult for them. 




Go buy No David today and do this in your classroom.  Trust me the kids love and it is perfect for teaching behavior.  Outside I hear my kids say, "He's being a David." when a child doesn't line up immediately.  It is too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment