About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Tricks & Treats Blog Hop with The Elementary Entourage



Happy fall and welcome to the Elementary Entourage blog hop!! I just love this group of blogging friends.

  I don't know about you, but I am so excited for fall.  I think it is so beautiful outside and I love wearing scarves and boots!  Another reason why I love fall is the fact that you get to participate in our tricks and treats blog hop!  What teacher doesn't love a new trick to try in their classroom or a fun treat to have!


Here is my TRICK for you!

I have a problem with my students not wanting to transition from one subject or activity to the next.  It is like pulling teeth to get them to move!  I have tried counting, taking points away, bribing, EVERYTHING!  They could care less.  They continued to work on their assignment or just take their time walking across the classroom as if it were a stroll in the park.  It was driving me crazy! I felt like it looked like this:



Then, I decided to use music as a transition tool. 

and.. 

WOW!  My kids magically started moving and getting to the next activity in a matter of seconds.  After a couple weeks of using music as a transition, they started getting there BEFORE the song was over!!  It has been simply amazing.



I have picked songs that are current or old.  I just try to choose songs that are upbeat and fun.  I have a mac, so I use Garageband to edit the songs.  If you are not able to edit the songs, you could always start a song and stop it when you want them on the rug.

I also use this to help my students understand time.  Some of the songs I use are 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.  I have different time frames depending on how much time they need to transition. Then, my students have learned that certain songs are short, as well as others are long.  My students are also understanding how long 10 seconds is compared to 1 minute.  I love this!  I hope this can be useful for you in your classroom. 

Here is your TREAT!

I am placing my fun fall themed products for FREE during our hop.  I hope you enjoy. :]



Also, check out my fall reading and writing workshop unit.  I will have it on sale during the hop!


Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to check out the other posts!  Happy hopping! 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fall themed products! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your idea for using music. I'm sure the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete