About Me My Classroom Freebies Collaboration Image Map

Friday, June 27, 2014

Keep 'em Buzzy Blog Hop


Thanks to Rocky Tammy Lee for setting up this awesome Blog Hop!  You are in for a treat.  There are so many activities and items available for you to use with your kiddos over the summer.  The summer months can often go by quickly, but it is important to practice some academics so that the students do not forget everything they learned during the school year.

I have recently moved to Chicago.  I just got a job teaching second grade in the fall.  Therefore, many of my items in my TPT store are kindergarten and first grade related (I taught kindergarten before), but I plan on adding second grade creations over the summer.  So... be sure to check back and see what I've posted!

Now... on to the exciting stuff!  Summer is a great time to go camping.  At the end of the year, we did a camping unit in my classroom.  I am including some pictures from our end of the year camp-out!  We really enjoyed eating marshmallows.  So, I bought some edible markers from Wal-Mart.

Click on this image above and it takes you to the Wal-Mart website!

We used the markers to write words/letters on large marshmallows.  I purchased the large marshmallows so that we could have more room to write on them.  Then, we wrote words that we made from the marshmallows.  We recorded our words on a paper, but since you are at home enjoying your summer break - you could leave that step out so that your child doesn't feel like they are at school. :)  





I was so impressed with the different words my kids came up with!  We had so much fun using the edible markers on the marshmallows.  My students thought it was really neat to eat the marshmallows after they wrote on them!



Then, of course we made s'mores after and had a fun campfire in our classroom.  I hope you can do this fun activity at home!  It would be neat for a rainy day where you could camp-out inside using flashlights and blankets for home-made tents!





Now...here is your FREEBIE!!  If you click on the image below it will take you to my TPT store where you can download this item for FREE!  This is another fun summer activity where you can use beach pool noodles to practice place value.  All you have to do is cut one pool noodle into 10 pieces so that it represents the ones place.  You then use another pool noodle to represent the tens place.  You can purchase as many as you want, depending how high of numbers you want to practice with!  Enjoy!  And please feel free to follow my TPT store.  I am so close to 100 followers - and once I reach my goal I will do something special!



Thanks for visiting my page!  I hope you are having a wonderful summer.  Be sure to follow my blog and check back to see the exciting things I have planned for second grade!


To continue the blog hop, please click on the image below to visit A Teacher Mom to see the exciting things she has for you!






2 comments: